I’ve read this lovely book twice, and it never gets old! The plot, family dynamic and the Christian themes provide just enough depth to tone down some of the annoying characters. (Characters that are actually necessary to the feel of this story.)
It’s senior year, and Whitney Richards is tired of the constant pressures to be perfect. When she gets a D in Calculus, her mother immediately hires a tutor, worried Whitney won’t get into the ‘right’ college—her alma mater—with imperfect grades. Her tutor, Taylor, is a quiet, mysterious boy who is unlike anyone Whitney has met before. But Taylor’s rougher upbringing has her mother and friends discouraging any type of relationship. Tired of having to play a part for everyone else, Whitney quits the cheerleading squad that once defined her social identity, and begins spending more time with Taylor. Her mom and friends worry Whitney is making a huge mistake, and even Taylor begins to show concern for some of her choices. But for the first time, Whitney is in the driver’s seat of her life. Will she be able to find her identity—and God’s plan for her life—before she throws everything away?
This book is a contemporary in that it’s very simple to read and understand but it’s not fluffy or “air-head-ish” like most of that category!
Whitney suffers from the consequences of her parents spoiling her just a bit too much-and getting a rude awakening when she meets Taylor. Immediately, that relationship is very interesting…..Their personalities and backgrounds being so different; not to mention she feels humiliated having to meet with a tutor. God uses him and many other circumstances to teach her about the shallow-ness of the circles she runs with. She realizes through painful conversations that everything she’s been striving for in the past several years has been meaningless and not near as important as her and her family always believed.
I LOVED this book both times I read it. It’s super quick, yet packs a punch!
As for some of my negative thoughts, I don’t appreciate how Whitney described appearances a few times….A tiny bit too descriptive for my taste. I’m not saying it wasn’t realistic, it just shouldn’t be portrayed in a book that’s read by younger girls. :-) But that’s honestly all.
Overall- I would recommend this book to any girl 12 and up, especially if you’re in the mood for a “palate cleanser” storyline!! ^_^
~By His Grace,
SOME INFO AND LINKS FOR THE AUTHOR, AMY CLIPSTON:
-Her Roadside Assistance Series-
Amy Clipston is a wife, mother, bestselling author, crazy cat lady, Disney fanatic, Marvel fan girl, kidney donor. (Bio from Instagram)
***She’s also written over 30 books, so be sure to check her other series’ out!!***
What do you want in a good novel? Not just in a particular genre, but the basic foundations… Do you want flawed and developed characters? A super fast-paced action plot? Or maybe you prefer a poetic writing style?
For me personally, I have only a couple that I want to see for my next favorite story.
Moving Target (Elite Guardians #3) by Lynette Eason
When Maddy McKay and Quinn Holcombe come up missing, things get interesting. The search for the two missing detectives continues while far away they are in the clutches 0f a madman’s twisted idea of a game. Now, Maddy and Quinn must run for their lives, because if they don’t win this game…They die.
In a story like this fast-paced suspense novel, you never know what to expect. You’re constantly shocked and you always think you know the plot, but the twists and turns are too much to keep up with! Coming from a person like me who loves watching shows like Criminal Minds, this book was a pleasant surprise that entertained me. I stopped watching CM years ago though, due to too many dark and inappropriate cases. BUT it was so cool to me to be able to get into the killer’s thought processes and ponder through the story’s clues and hints without being exposed to bad scenes and language.
I was also highly pleased with the amount of spiritual content as well! The two main characters and their families experience hard things, they fail a lot, and they don’t trust God enough during the trials. But they all slowly but surely found redemption and I loved reading that.
I highly recommend this romantic suspense book to anyone who enjoys a thrilling crime story! Moving Target will not disappoint.
Feel free to check out Lynette’s website here:
And here’s Lynette’s first two books in the Elite Guardians Series:
Hello everyone!! I’m just popping in here real quick to ask if ya’ll could take this survey!
I want to know what needs to change, what posts ya’ll want to request, and overall how I can change for the better.
Thanks, guys! Also, if this survey doesn’t work, PLEASE let me know. I totally new to this, so I’m a bit clueless about creating surveys.
~By His Grace,
THIS GIVEAWAY IS CLOSED.
MY BLOG GIVEAWAY IS UPON US LET US REJOICE AND GET VERY EXCITED FOR THE PEEPS!!!!!!
Hello everyone!!! Yes, it happened. I hit my stat goals ( 3K views) and it is December and time for giving! I recently posted about it on IG and I’m hoping to get many entries.
Want to know all the things????
A paperback copy of Secret Keeper by Dannah Gresh! I’ve read it, it was great! Really, a must read for every girl.
An autographed paperback copy of Secrets Of Royalty!!! This is a prize to be excited about, a real treat, for sure!
A beautiful, hardback copy of Savor:Living Abundantly Where You Are, As You Are by Shauna Niequist!
Finally, 2 $5 Scooter’s Coffee gift cards to two winners!
HOW TO WIN THE THINGS:
tag 5 people (in one comment) who might enjoy these prizes/my account/blog.
📬subscribe to my blog!
📬📬For an extra entry, repost one of my Instagram photos from my feed, the older the cooler, in my opinion!
TWO EXTRA TIDBITS TO KNOW:
- There will be 6 winners!!! Whoever has the most entries (names in a hat) will win one of the prizes, and first come first pick on which one you’d like!
- This giveaway started on December 1st, 2016 and will go through December 8th, 2016! You have plenty of time to get your entries in before it ends….
P.S. To those of you STILL reading, I am giving you ANOTHER entry. Comment below your FAVORITE SEASONAL DRINK, and you’ll be entered 5 additional times.
(I would say good luck but…. #awkwardmoment *coversfacewithhands*)
By His Grace,
Dads, brothers, cousins, boyfriend,uncles, grandpas, husband etc. I hope I can help spur on some creative gift-giving! Presents for him are literally known to be the worst and most hard thing the female can attempt. Seriously. :D In my family’s case, unless we are rich and have a bulging wallet it’s hard for us to gift to my dad-all he wants is tools! Which are expensive! LOL. If you’re in my boat and are stumped for this Christmas-read on!
Also, I thought I’d note that I’m planning several more posts-for bibliophiles, for kids and for her, so stay tuned!
- Insulated Stainless Steel water bottle.
- Lunch Bag/Cooler
- Rope/Bungee Cords
- A good bluetooth speaker...here. Great for at work or in the garage.
- Gift Cards from The Grommet, Bass Pro Shop, Cabela’s Dick’s Sporting Goods, Amazon, ITunes, Home Depot, Cavender’s, Barnes & Noble, Half Price Books, etc.
- A backpack….Great for the guy in school, a hiker, camper, photographer, etc.
- Suspenders…For the classy ones!
- Bowties….For the classy ones, yet again! :-D
- Snack subscription box from Nature Box or Graze! Great option for the healthy snacker…Or the guy on the run!
- Bose Headphones….I got some on Black Friday last year and they are so wonderful!
- A simple plaid shirt….Pretty much a necessity!
- A book or 1st month subscription from Audible!
- Wooden Watch….Somewhat expensive, but a great splurge! here
- IPad Cover
- Book from favorite genre/author
- Gift box from Harry’s Shave
- Gift box from Dollar Shave Club
- CD from favorite singer/genre
- Tape Measure…My dad is in construction and he gets a new one each year! Staple, for sure.
- A six pack of their favorite drink…In glass bottles just for fun!
- A mechanics tool set… Starting at $29.97
- Anything from THIS list of Home Depot gifts under $100.
- A cool Moleskine journal….For the writer/study type.
- Splurge on an engraved and fancy fountain pen!
- Some solid/under shirts.
- Big League Chew gum is super fun for stockings…My dad LOVES the grape flavor.
- If they’re the outdoorsy type, I think any kind of survival item is the way to go!
- First aid, preparedness kit! Search Pinterest and the web for ideas or buy them ready made!
- Man Crates is an epic-ly wonderful game changer for manly men gifting!!! Seriously, check it out!
- Local coffee shop gift card
- clip-on book light.
- Study Desk lamp
- Special colored pencils OR a sketching set
- Digital camera
- Camera case
- Customized guitar
- Personalized throw blanket
- Magazine Subscriptions (hunting, fishing, woodworking, etc.)
- Car Wash Packages
- Eyeglasses case
- Guitar picks
- Dart board
- Miniature table tennis
- Rifle accessories
- Tackle box, variety of lures. Hooks, weights, bobs, etc.
- Golf balls, tees, gloves, etc.
- Pocket knife
- Mini flashlights
- Fun t-shirts with sarcastic sayings….Pinterest is full of them!
- Gift card to favorite restaurant.
- Steering wheel covers
- Car seat covers
- Rubber Car Floor Mats
- A FitBit
- Drink blender with protein packs stuffed inside!
- Thorlo Socks for runners/joggers
- New running shoes
- Gun cleaning kit
- Grill cleaning kit
- BBQ Rubs/spices
- Fishing shirts/shorts/shoes
- Car Clip-On Scents
- Cooling Towels (the ones that are wet but don’t drip)
- Under Armor Wicking Shirts
Finally, (yes, I had to slip this in the list!) I have gift ideas from Young Living! They have got SO many different options when it comes to essential oils, but they have other options too:
- Shutran bar soap and aftershave.
- Thermos + 5ml Peppermint Oil
- NingXia Red Single Packs for health, wellness and overall feel good supplement!
- Thieves Cough Drops – I think these are essential to staying sick-free during winter.
- Fitness Pack
- THIS chocolate bar OR THIS one .
- Oral Care Pack-we’ve tried their Thieves toothpaste, very worth the money.
Well, there you go! I hope this helped you out. If you have any suggestions, leave me a comment and I’ll add the gift ideas to the list!
~By His Grace,